Thursday, April 2, 2009

April 2

Bobby enjoyed his first "Baby's Day Out" with Mommy yesterday, and he promptly learned that it takes Mommy forever to get ready. I'm not sure he could look more bored.

Our first stop was at the fire station to see Daddy and his crew mates. Once liberated from the car seat and in Daddy's arms, Bobby was checked out with a brief gathering, then the men went about their business.

Our next stop was my office, where (had he been awake) Bobby would have witnessed quite a different reception. My female co-workers gathered around the car seat and proceeded to ooh and aah with much enthusiasm. Everyone was very sweet and seemed to enjoy meeting the little tyke.

Next up was Starbuck's to meet Lindy. Lindy got gypped when she visited us at the hospital the day Bobby was born. (He was in the nursery for his bath, so all she got was me in my PCA pump-induced drug stupor -- which, come to think of it, could have been quite entertaining.) In case you ever wondered, Starbuck's is a great place to meet around lunchtime. Crowds may flock there in the morning, but in the afternoon,... not so much. It was nice to sit and chat. Bobby slept the entire time in his car seat, even with the baristas firing up the machines. Apparently my new child thrives on chaos to get a good forty winks in. Give him a quiet room with the gentle hum of a fan, and his sleep is fitful at best. I was almost sure he would rouse with the aroma of freshly ground coffee in the air, since he got a baby-sized coffee fix every day. Yes, I was one of THOSE pregnant women who still drank coffee. Once my OB said I had nothing to worry about with the small amount of coffee I consumed each morning, I couldn't waddle fast enough to the nearest Starbuck's. And since Bobby was born at 37 weeks and four days, weighing 6 lbs., 10 oz., I pretty much put to rest the debate as to whether or not caffeine-drinking moms have low-birth weight babies.

One bright realization I had while schlepping Bobby all over town, is that carrying him in his car seat is a fantastic upper arm workout!

No comments: