Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Giving of the Thanks

The last week has been a blur. Not really sure why, since life around here really hasn't seemed to spin any faster than usual. Regardless, my "me time" on the computer was slim to none, so no posts. :( If it's any consolation, I've written a baker's dozen of them in my head over the past several days. Too bad none of you are mind-readers. You'd have been laughing your asses off if you had. Yes, they were that good.

With Thanksgiving just about here, I have been trying to make a conscious effort to think of things I am thankful for every day. And not just the generic "I'm thankful for my family and friends and our health, blah-blah-blah-blah-blah." Don't get me wrong. I am totally thankful for those things. Really. But sometimes you have to look for the tiny things -- the things that you might otherwise overlook as the days go zipping by. Such as...

I am thankful for car rides with the boys when they aren't arguing or bickerng.

I am very thankful for my wonderful husband, Jeff, who can fix/build/attend to just about anything in the house. (You should see my new laundry area... it's all that and more. And I am not ashamed to admit I am totally charged about a laundry area.)

I am thankful for the timer on the coffee-maker, which makes getting out of bed at 6am on a dark, cold morning just a bit easier to bear, knowing my coffee is made and waiting for me.

I am thankful for the way Jeff and I can catch each other's gaze across the room and connect for that brief second or two. Those moments fill my heart with such a quick burst of joy and love.

I am thankful for infants' Motrin, which eases Bobby's teething pain.

I am thankful for wonderful, irreplaceable friends. You know who you are.

I am thankful for lower gas prices, making our trip to NY to visit family totally do-able on a tight budget.

I am thankful for any time one of the kids remembers to rinse the dish/glass/bowl they were using.

I am thankful for talented, gifted individuals who bring me episodes of my favorite television shows: Grey's Anatomy and The Office. Some weeks those 90 collective minutes are just about the only ones in which I sit and relax. Thank you for your amazing writing.

And, last but certainly not least... I am thankful for each and every person who reads and enjoys this blog. I may not know who you are, or how many people read, but I'm glad you're there.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Lindy said...

I'm totally with you on the coffee timer and the stolen gazes across the room. Sometimes thats all I get and sometimes that all I need.